What are My Child Support Obligations?

All parents are responsible for providing financial support for their children.  If you are the non-custodial parent, or you have split custody but earn a greater income, you will be ordered to pay monthly child support payments to the other parent to help provide for your child’s daily needs.

You will also be ordered to pay for half of work-related childcare costs and any medical or dental expenses incurred on behalf of your child.  Parents are required to maintain medical and dental insurance on behalf of their children, so long as such insurance is available at reasonable cost through an employer.  If your spouse provides insurance, you will be required to reimburse him/her for half of your child’s portion of insurance.  In addition, you may be required to cover half of any fees associated with your child’s schooling and extra-curricular activities.