Guardianship Attorneys in Salt Lake City

Helping you care for incapacitated loved ones

Elderly woman with granddaughterWhen an adult can no longer care for them self due to age, illness or incapacity, or when a minor child is left without any living parents, a guardianship and conservatorship may be necessary. These allow a loved one or other responsible party to act on behalf of the disabled person or to assume responsibility for the care of a minor child. But establishing a guardianship or conservatorship is not an easy process and usually requires the assistance of a Salt Lake City guardianship attorney. At Intermountain Legal, we understand how difficult this process can be and are sensitive to those difficulties. As part of our comprehensive family law practice, we have helped families establish and maintain guardianships and conservatorships for the benefit of their incapacitated loved ones.


Establishing a guardianship in Utah

Establishing a guardianship is the legal process of declaring a person incapacitated and transferring that person’s authority to make personal decisions to another responsible party. Similarly, a conservatorship allows another to make important decisions regarding an incapacitated person’s financial affairs. The legal system does not take this process lightly.

In the case of a child, a parent can designate a guardian by will or other written instrument. A court proceeding, however, is still usually necessary to confirm such an appointment. Adults can similarly delegate decision-making authority through a properly executed power of attorney. But if no such document exists when an adult becomes incapacitated, a judicial hearing is necessary to establish incapacity, determine the suitability of the proposed guardian and to set the scope of the guardianship or conservatorship. In either case, navigating these processes without the aid of an experienced guardianship attorney in Salt Lake City can be difficult.

Even after establishing a guardianship, guardians and conservators are subject to strict reporting requirements. A guardian must keep an accounting of all transactions made on behalf of the ward and must file reports at least annually. Finally, guardians and conservators must be careful not to overstep their authority or act in a manner inconsistent with the ward’s best interests. Salt Lake City guardianship attorneys help their clients understand their obligations and manage the requirements of being a guardian or conservator.

Call the firm for a consultation about establishing a guardianship

With our comprehensive family law practice, the dedicated attorneys of Intermountain Legal have helped families throughout Utah confront the challenges of caring for a disabled loved one or orphaned child. Call our office today at 801-990-4200 or contact us online to schedule a 30-minute attorney consultation for $50 to discuss your family law matter.

Intermountain Legal is located in Salt Lake City, UT and serves clients throughout all of Northern and Central Utah including Salt Lake City, Midvale, Sandy, West Jordan, North Salt Lake, Bountiful, South Jordan, Clearfield, Woods Cross, Draper, Farmington, Centerville, Layton, Ogden, Lehi, Provo, Orem, Park City and Davis, Salt Lake, Weber, Utah, Tooele and Summit counties.